Is the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Waiting List open?

The Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List is currently closed.

What application date is Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) pulling from the waiting list?

The Authority is currently pulling all applications with an application date of April 5, 2010.

How can I apply for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program?

The Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) waiting list is currently closed. No applications are being accepted until further notice, but we do have a list of all public download a copy of these lists. Please contact each development directly for application criteria and eligibility.

Where is your office located?

We are located in Downtown Winston-Salem on 4th Street between Spruce and Poplar Streets. The Housing Choice Voucher department is located at 500 W. 4th Street, Suite 300, Winston-Salem, NC 27101

How can I find out my Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Specialist's name?

All letters that we send out have a four digit contract or reference number next to your name. Click here for the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Directory.

How does the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program work?

Additional information can be found at

What are the income limits for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8)?

Income limits are based on the household size of the family. The annual household income cannot exceed the Very Low Income Limit, which is 50% of median income (MFI: 57,300). You can find the Fiscal Year 2008 HUD published income limits for Winston-Salem, NC in the table below:

No. of Persons
in Household
30% of MedianVery Low IncomeLow Income
 1 person $12600 $20950 $33500
 2 persons $14400 $23950 $38300
 3 persons $16200 $26950 $43100
 4 persons $17950 $29900 $47850
 5 persons $19400 $32300 $51700
 6 persons  $20850  $34700  $55550
 7 persons  $22300  $37100  $59350
 8 persons  $23700  $39500  $63200

What are the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Payment Standards for Forsyth County?

Bedroom Size Zero Bedrooms One Bedroom Two Bedrooms Three Bedrooms Four Bedrooms

Payment Standard*

$482 $549 $636 $867 $1019
*New Payment Standards Effective August 2010 for all new move-ins, annuals, and transfers.  

What are the occupancy standards?

The occupancy standards refer to how many bedrooms a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participant is eligible for based on their household size. The occupancy standards are: 

Bedroom Size One Bedroom Two Bedrooms Three Bedrooms Four Bedrooms Five Bedrooms
Occupancy Standards
?(Household Occupants)
1-2 2-4 4-6 6-8 8-10

How do I list my available unit with Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8)?

To list a property, you can email us or call the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Department at (336) 727-8500 ext. 100

I would like to put my house on the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program. What should I do?

Any type of housing may be rented - apartments, houses, duplexes, town houses, mobile homes, etc. - as long as the unit is located within Forsyth County, meets HUD Housing Quality Standards, and the rent is reasonable for the size, type, and location of unit. The following steps will ensure a smooth transition into being a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) landlord:

The landlord interviews, screens and selects a tenant.

Once the landlord approves the tenant, the landlord and tenant complete the Request for Tenancy Approval (Sample RFTA) and it is returned to the Housing Authority by either the family or the landlord.

After HAWS receives the completed RFTA and the participant qualifies for the unit, the owner will be contacted within 5 business days to schedule a move in inspection.

The tenant should not move into the unit until after it passes inspection and a lease between owner and participant is executed. HAWS will not pay any rent for a unit that has not passed inspection.

The Housing Assistance Payment (Sample HAP Contract) contract, the agreement between HAWS and the landlord, will be generated after the Specialist receives a copy of the passed inspection and the executed lease agreement. Please note: No payments will be made until after both HAWS and the landlord have signed the HAP contract.

What is an HQS Inspection?

The Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program Units are inspected using the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) inspection protocol known as Housing Quality Standards (HQS). The Inspections Department is responsible for conducting four (4) types of inspections under the HQS protocol:

  • Initial Inspections: which are done before occupancy of the units.
  • Annual Inspections: which are done annually throughout occupancy of the units.
  • Special Inspections: which are conducted based on verified complaints of unsafe living conditions from the resident(s) or owner(s) of the property.
  • Quality Control Inspections: are inspections conducted on a designated number of units by Housing Authority management annually to insure uniformity and consistency of the inspections staff.

Can I move into my unit before it passes inspection?

HAWS does not recommend that participants move into a unit before it passes inspection. If you move in prior to the unit passing inspection, you are responsible for the entire contract rent. HAWS will not pay on a unit until we have a passed inspection. The payments may not be retroactive to before the passed inspection date.

Does my unit have to be inspected?

Yes, all units must pass a Housing Quality Control Inspection (Sample HQC Booklet) in order to participate on the program. The unit must pass inspection prior to the tenant moving in initially and again annually.

I just moved into my unit 8 months ago. Why do I need to come in for an annual re-examination?

HAWS conducts annual re-examinations approximately four months prior to you anniversary date.

What do I need to bring for my annual re-examination appointment?

Please refer to the letter that is sent approximately 30 days prior to your appointment date.

When can I expect my first Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) check?

After we have executed the Lease and Housing Assistance Payments Contract, the contract is processed for payment. Generally, the first payment takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks. If you are new to the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program, your first payment will be a paper check. All subsequent payments will be made via direct deposit into your savings or checking account. (ACH Deposit Form)

How do I reschedule an inspection?

Inspection appointments may only be cancelled by the owner. Either the owner or the tenant may schedule an inspection. If you received a "1st Failed Inspection Notification," a re-inspection has already been scheduled. Please read your failed inspection notification and it will instruct you as to how to reschedule. If you received a missed inspection notification, please contact Vickie Hicks, to reschedule the inspection.

How much time do I have to make repairs if my unit fails inspection?

For routine, non-emergency deficiencies, the owner is given 30 days to make the needed repairs. For emergency items, the owner or tenant has 24 hours to make the repairs. Rent is abated the first day of the month following the deadline for having repairs completed. No rent can be paid during the period of abatement.

What are my remedies as an owner if the tenant does not abide by the lease?

Your remedies are exactly like any remedies owners have in the private market. It is the owners' responsibility to enforce the lease and take whatever remedies are available under the lease and state law. We only ask that you keep us up-to-date and copy us on any correspondence you have with the tenant.

What happens to the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participant if I have to evict the tenant?

If an owner goes through the proper eviction procedure (per state law) and successfully evicts the tenant, the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participant will be terminated from the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program for non-compliance of their lease. Please be sure to copy us on any and all eviction paperwork.

I have a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) voucher in another county and would like to relocate (port) to your agency. How do I transfer my voucher?

HAWS is currently absorbing all incoming portables. Please meet with your current Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Caseworker (in the county from which you are moving) and have your portability paperwork sent to:
Attn: April Marlin
500 W. 4th Street, Suite 300
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
(336) 727-8500 ext. 6104 (telephone)
(336) 917-6104 (fax)

How does the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Homeownership Program work?

The homeownership program helps qualified Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participants secure their dream of homeownership. The program allows families to use their Housing Choice rental subsidy as a mortgage subsidy, provided they meet certain qualifications. In order to participant in the Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership Program you must enroll in the Family Self Sufficiency program. Please contact Sylvia Neely for more information at (336) 727-8500 ext. 140.

If you should have questions regarding the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program or how to participate as an owner in the program, please contact Romonda Gaston (336) 727-8500 ext. 155.